|Info 1c, Trade address' of Thomas Richardson Hull||Close info Window|
1854 Dec 22nd Subsciptions to Patriotic Fund £ s d Richardson & Sons, Cabinet makers 4 4 0 Ditto workmen employed at their works in Bond Street 7 11 0 Ditto workmen employed at their works in Castle Street 4 11 6
By 1851 its clear the Firm of Richardson and sons had become a major player
in the supply of high class furniture by expansion in Bond street.
an further enhanced from about 1855 by patronage of Sir Clifford and Lady Constable
(a seal of approval as good locally as by Royal appointment?)
Following the death of Lady constable, in 1862, the Richardson's good fortune was
further enhanced by Constable's new Mistress "Lady Rosina" who is said to have
spent £11,000 with the firm
to furnish Dunbar House her "Love Nest" in Twickenham, London.
An indication as to her extravigance with Richardson on Sons came to light in 1871 , following the death of Sir Clifford Constable, when it became clear that Constable Estate was near to Bankruptsy. In a Chancery Hearing followed to apportion debts between Lady Rosina and Sir Cliffords Heirs. At Which the many trade suppliers where forced to provide a detailed account of items supplied.
|1895 Trades directory||
pages 588-590My thanks to Arthur G. Gredland of Hull Museums for appraising me of James Joseph Sheahan's Book The History of Kingston Upon Hull
To the credit of Hull we must place the largest furniture manufactory in the kingdom, viz., that of
Messr. Richardson and Sons, Bond St.
Every article of first class furniture, suitable either for the church, the palace or the mansion , is designed and manufactered here from the rough log, and carried out to the utmost finish and polish; and it is a somewhat remarkable circumstance that mansions are furnished by the Messrs. Richardson, not only in every part of this kingdom; but in many parts of the European and American continents.
The business was founded in 1812 by the late Mr. Richardson, who is reputed to have been one of the best cabinet makers of the day, and who procured for his 3 sons ( the members of the present firm) the means of aquiring a practicle knowledge of every department of the furnishing trade. Hence the superior excellence of this establishment.
The premises consists chiefly of four blocks of buildings, extending backwards from Bond street to Waltham Street. Three of these blocks are three stories in height.
The front cabinet showrooms measure above a 100 square feet and the two upper stories, which contain galleries, are lighted by a glass dome.
sheet 6In allusion to the stock in this establishment, a writer, a few years ago said that
"For quality variety and richness, it bears the palm of excellence over all others. The showrooms (he adds) may be termed couriosities of the industrial arts for they contain specimins of the carvers skills that astonish by their marvellous beauty, and comprise every article, we should imagine, that invention has furnished, in cabinet goods, from the earliest to the present times."
We must certainly endorse this extract. The stock is now too most extensive and superb in every department.**
The factory at the rear of the ware-rooms , is repleat with excellent machinery, much of which is peculiar to the establishment, having been either invented or improved by the proprietors themselves The number of hands employed by Mrssr. Richardson, including upholsteres, carvers, Gilders, Polishers, Painters, Decorators, Paper hangers etc amount to at least 150.
The Firm had the range of skills, materials and machinery for large and prestigious undertakings, including the Council Chamber of Hull's Town Hall in 1863.
Note: In pasing through the ware rooms we noiced the three beautiful chairs which were made for the throne, when her Majesty the Queen visited Hull in 1854 (see pg185) and amoungst many other beautiful objects we observed a magnificent marquetry table of Chinse manufacture - a rare curiosity, supposed to be 300 years old, and believed toi have belonged to one of the Palaces of the late Emporor. It is inlaid with figures in ivory, illistrative of the mannors and customs of the people of the " Celestial Empire". We likewise noticed a cabinet of a somewhat similar character, as well as a courious Japanese Cabinet,
The Messrs Richardson have just compleated an elegant case composed of about 500 pieces of of different kinds of wood, in small sections arranged geometrically; which filled with 38 samples of the princle corn and Oleaginous sees grown in or imported into England, having been forwarded by Messrs F. Helmsing and Co. to the Commisioner de la Society Imperial Echonomique, St Petersburg, by request.
The Will of William Richardson who died in 1907 left a large number of bequests to emplyees and charities with any residue to the executors William Parker Birkinshaw and George Hodgson.
1891 census source RG12; Piece: 3936; Folio: 84; Page: 26; place Holy trininty Hull, Yorkshire dwelling schedule 137, 14 Arlington Street Charles Newbound 53 Manager Cabinet Manufacturer Leeds Margaret P Newbound 50 Middlesborough Evely M Newbound 21 Hull Percy S Newbound 15 Law solicitors Clark Hull Marie Newbound 9 Scholar Hull Sarah A Hebblethwaite 21 servHowever Charles Newbound died 19th December 1906,
|Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, Saturday 16 July 1910|
ON THURSDAY, July 28th 1910
AT LOW RESERVES TO CLOSE THE ESTATE. HULL.
EXTENSIVE PREMISES AND GOODWILL OF THE BUSINESS,
OF THE OLD ESTABLISHED and renowned firm Messrs. RICHARDSON and SONS, Cabinet makers, (which will in the first instance be offered as one lot, and if not disposed of, then in the following or such other lots as shall be determined on the time of sale.):-
Lot 1. - A COMMANDING BLOCK of three large floors and basement, with excellent light, used as Sale Shop and Show Rooms. Also the Offices, Workshops, Store-rooms, etc., adjoining
This lot numbered 31 to 35. Bond Street, has a frontage about 86 feet to that street, and extends to Little Albion Street, which the frontage is about 83 feet.
The total quantity land is about 898 square yards.
Lot 2. - Modern Corner Block of Four Floors, well and substantially built, with the following frontages, Little Albion Street, about 55 feet; Bowling Green Court, about 45 feet. The total quantity of Land is about 277 square yards. This Lot is used as Show roooms, Workshops and Funiture Stores.
Lot 3.—WORKSHOPS OF 3 FLOORS (well built), and Yard, situate the west side Little Albion Street (adjoining Lot 2); Quantity of land about 321 square yards, frontage about 58 ¾ feet.
Lot 4. — EXTENSIVE WORKSHOPS, situate the east side Waltham Street (adjoining Lot 3.) Area of land about 321 square yards, frontage about 58 &frac3/4; feet,
Lots 1 to 3 are Freehold, and Lot 4 copyhold of the Manor Myton (practically equal to Freehold). Lithographed Plans and particulars and orders to view may beobtained from the Auctioneers, Bowally-lane Hull.
N. EASTON and SON are intructed to sell by AUCTION the above properties, at their Mart, Imperial Chambers, Bowally Lane, Hull, on Thursday 28th July 1910 at 2:30pm prompt, subject to conditions which may be seen three days prior to the day of sale, on application to Messrs, HOLDEN, SONS and HODGSON, Solicitors, Trinity House Lane, Hull.
Back to TOP
Close info Window
© JCC Glass
Updated 12th January 2012