|Info 1a, Kinchant, Park Hall Estate
|Close info Window
PARK HALL, a fine specimen of a timber house was built by Robert Howell (otherwise Robert Powell,) in the reign of Queen Mary, between the years 1553 and 1558.
It was inhabited by members of the same family, till it ended in an heiress, who sold it 1717 to Francis Charlton, of Ludford, a branch of the Charlton's of Apley, and by his will it passed to his second son Job, on whos death in 1761 without issue, the estate was inherited by his sister Emma , who married for her third husband John Charlton Kinchant,
It is a specimen of a style which prevailed when the necessity had ceased for making houses capable of defence, and when the newly acquired power of admitting any amount of light and air into apartments was adopted to such an unreasonable extent, as to make nearly the whole fronts of houses to consist of mullioned windows.
Shropeshire houses published 1901 ,PARK HALL.
IN 1563, Henry Fitzalan, Earl of Arundel, sold to Thomas Powell, of Whittington, the land on which the present house was shortly afterwards built. His grandson or great grandson was Sheriff in 1647, and adhered to the Parliament in the Civil Wars. The next in succession was the Rev. Dr. Powell, described as "Esquire," who was Rector of Whittington, Canon and Chancellor of St. Asaph, Rector of Hodnett, Archdeacon of Salop, and King's Chaplain.
His son Thomas, Mayor of Oswestry, 1690, Recorder 1698, Sheriff 17 17, sold Park in the latter year to Sir Francis Charlton, Bart., of Ludford. Sir Francis was the eldest son of Sir Job Charlton, Speaker in 1673 ; he was M.P. for Ludlow in 1678, Sheriff in 1699, and dying in 1729, was succeeded at Park by his eldest son by his second marriage, Job, who died without issue in 1761, when the estate vested in his sister Emma, who married for her third husband, John Kinchant.
The father of Kinchant was of French Huguenot descent, and was killed at Fontenoy in 1745. John Charlton Kinchant was Sheriff in 1775, and died in 1832. His nephew and heir was killed at Waterloo, and the estate subsequently passed to a cousin, Richard Henry Kinchant, Sheriff 1846, after whose death it was sold, about 1870, to the present owner, Mrs. Wynne Corrie, by the mortgagees.
Cause number: 1864 C155. Short title: Caton v Kinchant. Documents: Bill, interrogatories, two answers. Plaintiffs: Richard Redmond Caton and others. Defendants: Maria Eliza Kinchant widow and Job Henry Kirichant (abroad). Provincial solicitor employed in Lincolnshire.
In Chancery;- Caton v. Kinchant Shropeshire.
Most important Freehold Estate called "Park" situate in the parishes of Whittington and Sellattin, in the county of Salop, with the magnificent old Mansion, Farms, Cottages, and Lands, containing upwards of 430 acres.
Mr. T. W. Hill, of Owestry, is honoured with instructions, pusuant to an order made in the above cause, and with the approbation of his Honour the Master of the Rolls, the judge to whom such cause is attached to SUBMIT to PUBLIC COMPETITION, on the 12 December 1865, at the Wynnstay Arms Hotel, Owestry in the county of Salop, at three for four o'clock in the afternoon, subject to conditions then to be produced, unless disposed of in the meantime by private contract, of which due notice will be given.
PARK HALL ESTATE, situate one mile from the important town of Owestry , and about equal distances from Owestry, Gobowen, and Whittington railway stations on the Great Western and Cambrian lines of railway, in a rich and fertile part of the county of Salop, on the borders of Wales, surrounded by the most exquisit and charming scenery.
It consists of a noble and elegant mansion in the Elizabethian or Tudor style of architecture, with attached and detached offices, nobly timbered parks, pleasure grounds and gardens, farms, cottages and lands, comprising of 430 acres of rich medow, pasture, arable,and woodlands, in a ring fence, and surrounded by good roads. This singular and interesting timbered mansion was built about the year 1543; few such edifaces are now remaining in England, and perhaps none in so perfect a state of preservation, or exhibiting so true a specimin of the domestic architecture of bygone days.
The house has been lately restored and put into complete repair. its original character having been faithfully preserved The south front is 126 feet in lenght, with a variety of Gables and a good deal of enrichment. The interior reception rooms are wainscoted with beautiful framework, shaped in diamond or losenge pannels, possessing exquisitly fine carved oak chiminy peaces; and a ceiling of unparralled workmanship, and comprises a most noble entrance hall in the center of the building 33 by 23 feet; dinning room 36 by 19 feet; billiard room 18 by 17 feet; study 18 by 12 feet; and drawing room 27 by 20 feet; nine best bed and five dressing rooms, five servants' apartments, bath room, water closets, excellent cellerage, house keepers room, butlers pantry,kitchens, and other domestic offices.
There is a beatiful little chapple abutting on the west wing of the house, the windows are of stained glass, the interior in wainscoted, and the whole arched over with oak panneling. The gallery is approached by a door from the drawing room, There is excellent stabling for eight horses, two roomy coach houses, saddle room, granery &c. inclosed in a large courtyard.
The Garden, which is accessable from the house, is surrounded by a high massive wall, overlooked from the south end by a terrace of considerable lenght; there is also a productive orchard at the back, compact gardiners cottages and garden house. There are also excellent farm buildings near, stone built and comnveniantly arraged. The estate is devided into two conveniant sized farms in the holding of most respected tenants,
Back to TOP
Close info Window
© JCC Glass
updated 1st October 2009