Info 3c, Richard redmond Caton
|Close info Window|
RR as an old Man
1828 commisioned army medical service 4303
Richard Redmond Caton. H.A. 12 June 1828. A.S. r.rrn. 6 July
|JACKSON'S JOURNAL, 10th July 1810|
The Rev. John Rideout, rector of Woodmancote, Sussex, to
Mrs. Dring, widow of Rev. J. Dring, and youngest daughter of
Sir Henry Goring , Bart.
|THE EDINBURGH GAZZETE, Tueday July 13, 1830|
|War office 6th july
Richard redmond Caton to be assistant Surgeon,
vice. Pickford who resigns.
Neither Richard Redmond Caton or Anna Maria and mother Francis Rideout
have been found in 1841 census.
From the divorce reports we know they had been living with Anna's parents
in Woodmancote untill 1838, when Rev. John Rideout died, when they move to Brighton.
Early in 1841 they had seperated with Richard taking the daughters to London.
From Anna's letters 2nd and 7th July we have her address' of :-
Brunswick Square, (Hove) where anna's brother Goring Rideout is living and
75 Seymour St, Bryanston Sq. (London) where Richard's parents live.
however neither are with their respective families. The 1841 census was on night of 6/7 June, just 3/4 week previous to the letters so possibly they are in transit that night. However their son is in a boarding school in Oriental Place, just a few street away from Brunswick square.
1841 census Source HO107 piece 1122 book 6 folio 38 Page 24 Place Brightelmstone (Brighton), Palace district 10, Sussex Dwelling Oriental Place Bewley Caton pupil aged 7
Eventual a reconcilliation took place and the family moved to Tunbridge Wells.
In Oct 1841 moved to Paris however following an affair with Major St Rose, the son of the house their were boarding in, resulting in a child apparently registered in Paris as Albert edouard Caton father Richard redmond Caton, however it became clear Major St. Rose was the father.
A 2nd and final seperation took place in dec1843 with Mr.Caton and children Except the baby returning to England.
1851 census Guernsey, Channel islands Place Elizabeth College Redmond R B Caton boarder 17 Pupil England
1851 census Source HO107; Piece: 1993; Folio: 667; Page: 30 Place Whittingdon district 1d, shropshire Dwelling Park Hall shed 115 Richard henry Kinchant head M 46 Magistrate & Landed proprietor Cudden E I. Maria eliza Kinchant wife M 38 Dublin Ireland Eliza power Kinchant dau 18 St Leonards Bucks John Charlton Kinchant son 16 St Leonards Bucks Myra chatherine ann Kinchant dau 11 Scholar at Home Whittington Salop Richard caton Kinchant son 9 Scholar at home Whittington Salop Richard Redmond Caton vist 44 Landed proprietor Otleside? Westmoreland Frances eliza Caton niece 18 Woodmancote Sussex
(The building was built between 1824 and 1927 under the direction of Sir Robert Smirke, the leading Greek revivalist architect and designer of both the Royal Opera House and the British Museum. The building was used by The Union Club, one of the first gentleman's clubs, and by the Royal College of Physicians. The Union Club was set up in 1805 and the Duke of Wellington and Charles Dickens were members. It was somewhere for upper class gentlemen to drink, smoke, and gamble.
1861 census Source RG9 piece 77 folio 44 page 10 Place St Mary's Marylebone District 2 Dwelling schedule 41, 17 Upper Seymour Street, Bryanston Square, London Rich. R. Caton head W. 54 Gentleman annuitant Ambles Westmoreland Jane ann A. Caton DIL W 28 Glasgow, Scotland Redmond B. Caton gson 2 Perthshire, Scotland
1871 census source place Steyning, Shoreham, Hove Dwelling 2 Wilbury Rd. Thurston Caton head 74 Annuitant Isle of Man Selena Caton wife 53 India Richard Caton brother 78 landowner Westmorland
1881 census source Place Paddington St Johns, London Dwelling 13,15,17,19 Porchester Gardens Richard Caton boarder 88 living on own Means Westmorland
The following Presents to the Library were announced :
From the Author. Collectanea Antiqua.
Vol. III. Part 3. 8vo. London, 1854.
From the Suffolk Institute of their Proceedings. Vol. II. No. 1. 8vo.
Bury Archaeology. St. Edmund's, 1854.
R. REDMOND CATON, Esq. exhibited a Bronze penannular Ring,
found while digging for the foundation of a House at Lincoln
Back to TOP
Close info Window
© JCC Glass
updated 5 november 2010