The first 2 children Ann b.1801 and Peter b.1802 are christened as St Mary's Independant, Glossop parish
also known as Top Chapple which is about 1 mile to the west of Glossop town (Derbyshire)in
the hamlet of Charlesworth on the modern A626 road.
St. Mary - Top Chapple
In 1804 and 1806 children James and John were christened at Tiviot Dale Chapel Wesleyan Methodist,
Heaton Norris, Lancashire, which is on the north bank of the river Mersey opposit Stockport Cheshire again on the A626.
Examination of Methodist records reveal they travelled from Mottram a couple of mile north of Charlesworth
From 1808 the remaining children were christened at New Mills Derbyshire.
However the parish entries specifiy that they
were from New York, a small terrace of houses at the northern end of Long Lane
just before it crosses the river into Broadbottom.
It seems likely that Edward was manager in one of the several nearby Cotton Mills.
Analasis of other Methodist baptisms reveals most of Wesleyan followers were from
artisan class and also traveled considerable distances ( for those times)
to baptise their children.
Long Lane, Broadbottom, New York Cottages on right. Map