Info 2a, McMahon in Riwaka

Close info Window

Children of James and Ellen MacMahon
George bernard b.1877 
d.04/apr/1879 aged 22 months (george barnett mcMahon)

Frank b.1879
Margret b.1881

Manawatu Standard, 26th January 1883
The mysterious disappearance is reported of a man named James McMahon, a bottler who lost his child while at the Druid's fete on Monday last, and the same night he went in search of it. Nothing has been seen of him since, and it is feared that he has met with some fatality.

Friday. Nothing further has been heard of the man McMahon, and the worst is now feared, Search parties are still out.

Evening Post, January 1883
Recovery of the body in the Harbour.
The dead body of the missing man James Macmahon, for whom an active search has been kept up by the polioe authorities and others during the past week, was observed floating in the harbour near the beach situated at the junction of Kaiwarra and Tina- i kori-roads. It had evidently been in the I water for several days, and though the face was disfigured beyond identification, the body has been fully recognised by deceased's friends as that of the missing Macmahon.
It will be remembered that Maemahon, who was employed as a bottler in Staples' brewery, announced his determination on Monday night last of proceeding to the Lower Hutt in search of his child, who had got lost. Whether he actually left Wellington on that mission is exceedingly doubtful. The lost child turned up safe and sound soon afterward, but meanwhile no trace could be found of the father.
A fellow workman of his a man named Garratt stated
"that Mr. Macmahon accompanied her husband from their residence in More-street, Pipitea Point, to the railway station and, after giving him a small sum of money to cover his expenses, saw him off in the train", a guard belonging to the train is said to have afterwards seen Macmahon at the Lower Hutt station, while Mr. Edward Dwan, of the Property Tax Department, is stated to have seen him at Petoni the following evening.
There is reason to believe, however, that the account furnished by certain women, who have since left for Christchurch, and who stated that on Monday night they saw a man drowning off Pipitea Point, and that two men put off in a boat from a ship lying in the stream, but did not succeed in rescuing him, supplies the key to the mystery of Ihe deceased's disappearance and mode of death.

At 8 o'clock this morning Stephen Better, a blacksmith, residing at Johnsonville, but employed at Beeton's smithy, Molesworth street, Wellington, called at the Police Station and reported that the dead body of a man was floating in the harbour at the spot already indicated. Constable O'Donovan immediately propeeded thither, and, with the assistance of some bystanders, pulled the body out of the water, and removed it to the Morgue There it was identified by William Garratt, of Staples' Brewery, who recognised it by means of the clothes and hands, which, as well as the rest of the body with the exception of the face, were in a good state of preservation. There were no marks of violenoe visible on the body, and the only contents of the pockets consisted of a couple of handkerchiefs.
Deceased was about 40 years of age, and has left a wife and two or three children to mourn their loss. How he came into the water has yet to be explained. The occurrence has been reported to the Acting Coroner, who will hold an inquest on the body.

New Zealand Times 31st January 1883
An inquest was held before Mr G. B. Davy, acting coroner, yesterday afternoon, on the body of James McMahon, found drowned in the harbor on Monday morning.
The jury, having viewed the body, proceeded to the Royal Hotel, where evidence was taken. The body was identified by W. Staples and AV. Garrett. A medical certificate' was handed in that Mrs McMahon, widow of the deceased, was unable to attend. Dr. Tripe deposed that he had examined the body. He found the stomach perfectly empty, and considered that deceased could not have partaken of food for a considerable time. The heart had been very weak, and the state of lungs showed that death had been caused by drowning, Frederick Grevillo gave evidence to the effect that the deceased had called at the New Zealand Times office during the evening of the 22nd January, and. inserted an advertisement relating to a child which he had lost at the Lower Hutt on the day named. He then appeared to be in a state of excitement, aud to some extent under the influence of drink. Patrick Mulloy, a guard on the railway, stated that deceased travelled to the Lower Hutt per train on the night of the 22nd, and on arrival there witness had some difficulty in arousing him and getting him to leave the carriage. Edward Dunne, a clerk in the Property Tax Department, said he was at Petone on the evening of the 23rd January when he met deceased, whom ho knew. Deceased spoke in a very random manner, and said he was looking for his child, eventually accusing witness of having it in his possession. Witness left him, not thinking that he was likely to come to any harm. Evidence having been given as to the finding of the body, the jury returned a verdict of "Found drowned,"

1923 - McMAHON - Ellen - 74 years
[died 19 July 1923 - buried Karori Cemetery at Wellington ]
An Ellen McMAHON (aged 74 years -  1849) was buried at the
Karori Cemetery, Wellington on 20 July 1923.
Ellen Barnett, relict of the late James MacMAHON, Riwaka, Nelson, ...

"Evening Post" - 20 July 1923 - Deaths
MacMAHON - on 19th July 1923 at Wellington, Ellen Barnett, 
relict of the late James MacMAHON, Riwaka, Nelson, aged 74 years.  
(Nelson papers please copy)

Back to TOP
Close info Window
© Cam Campbell
© JCC Glass
Use portrait to print
Updated 18th July 2017