Info 1a. Jane Campbell / Ledlie
Close info Window

Tuapeka times 10th Nov 1888 The Blue Spur Bible class, which is conducted by Mr R. Neill, assisted by Mr M'Hattie, gained a large number of the prizes at tbe examination carried on under the auspices of the Synod. .... In section B (for those between 14 and 18 years of age) .. Sarah Ledlie, 6th (ss), 77 p.c.

Ledlie Family, circa

Ledlie Family

Robert henry Ledlie,   Sarah (Ted)Ledlie,   Isabella (molly)Ledlie



Robert henry Ledlie was born in Blue Spur 2 July 1875,
the son of Robert McLeroy Ledlie and Sarah Jane Hall.
Robert died 14 July 1944 in Musselburgh, Dunedin, at 69 years of age.
His body was interred 15 July 1944 in Anderson's Bay, Cmty, Dunedin. Robert was listed on the school roll as a student in Blue Spur, 1880s.
The LEDLIEs were the adoptive parents of Sarah's ("Ted's") sister Anne's illegitimate daughter Isabella ("Molly"), from the time when she was about 7. at which time they had been married about 4 years and had no children of their own.
Robert henry Ledlie mined at Blue Spur like his father, until about 1901 when he and Ted moved to South Dunedin, living first in Macanrew Rd and then in Oxford St. He was then a labourer, perhaps a foundry worker (Ledlie STUART has photo). From 1907 to 1909 he was as gardener in North-east Harbour, perhaps at Glenfalloch - according to Ledlie STUART, R.H.LEDLIE was a cowman-gardener to the Glendinnings at Glenfalloch.
Lily KILGOUR recalls (27/6/91) that while she herself did not know of the relationship, "Jim [her husband James McDonald] and Molly [his half-sister] were very good friends, that Aunty Ted, Uncle Harry and Molly used to spend their Holidays at Roxburgh East, they used to bring a large tent to stay in, as G'Ma and G'Dad McDonald (Annie and Jim) & son James lived in a 2 Roomed House" [see their entry for more on this house].

He began a business as a coal merchant in 1910 at 264 Anderson's Bay Rd (they lived at 194, then at 484). About 1913 they moved to 2 Eskvale St (house & business), with a yard also at Bayview Rd from 1924.
Back to TOP
Close info Window
© JCC Glass
Updated 9th July 2014
Use portrait to print