Info 7a. Ann Cameron - McKinnon
Close info Window

Anne Cameron married 23rd January 1853 to Donald Mckinnon
at a Presbyterian church in Sydney Donald McLeod McKinnon: son of Malcolm McKinnon
born 1824-1827 in Isle of Skye, Scotland
Died 21 APR 1891 in Taree, and buried Taree Estate private cemetery, Taree, NSW

Emigrated with his family 1837 Arrived in Sydney, and shortly after the family moved
to the Mailand Area where Donald went to school for a while before leaving to go to sea,
working in the whaling industry off New Zealand.
Sydney became the hub of the South Pacific's whaling and sealing industries and received the bulk of New Zealand's early trade so he probably signed on with a ship
berthed at Sydney. The folowing newpaper item appears to show that by 1851 he had obtained
his masters certificate.
The Maitland Mercury, 19th July 1851
Shipping Inteligence, Arrivals; (from Sydney Morning Herald)
13th. - Wandsworth, ship, 195 tons, Captain Dunlop, from Port Phillip the 5th instant. Passengers - Captain McKinnon, and 20 in the steerage.

On 23rd January 1853 (Captain) Donald McKinnon married in Sydney to Anne Cameron, whom he had probably met in Auckland New Zealand, It was said Anne left NZ to marry Donald however their first son was born, 11th march 1853, less than 2 months after the marriage , so either ann had already gone to Australia but more probable is that they met in Auckland. From later correspondance with Duncan Campbell, his brother inlaw, its clear Donald McKinnon originally had intended to to farm in NZ.

Donald and Ann may have planned to marry in NZ, much sooner,(when she discovered she was pregnant?) however in 1852 Donald had to return to Australia to see his father, Malcolm, who was reportedly at deaths door , and family matters may have force him to stay longer than he originally intended, so that Ann had to following Donald to Australia to get married. From the following letter of 12th November 1853 its appears Ann's sisters and mother may also travelled to Australia for the wedding.

Auckland 12 November 1853

My Dear Mrs McKinnon,
I am instructed by your mother and sister to acknowledge the receipt of your kind letter to them. They are exceedingly glad to hear of your welfare and think of your boy. This leaves them in good health trusting this will reach you in the enjoyment of good health as well as young Malcolm. Sarah my wife had a daughter Margaret some 14 months ago who is running about the house. Your mother has enjoyed pretty good health since she left Sydney, as well as your sisters. I have had a letter from Charles the other day wherein he mentions his being well as well as Donald and Allan.

We are all glad to hear that your husband is well, they all as well as myself join in sending you their best love and would be very glad to see you here along with your husband. I myself personally knowing your husband would be very glad to see him for old acquaintance sake, trusting that soon we may have the pleasure of seeing you and your husband in New Zealand. Mrs Alison, her husband and family are all well and send their kindest respects and we remain, My Dear Mrs McKinnon
Your Loving Mother & Sisters
Dun Campbell

Donít forget to write us soon Johnny is doing well.

Church records show that Anne and Donald's first 2 children Malcolm (c. 27th March 1853) and Hugh (b. 4th May 1855) were baptised by Reverends James S. Laughton, and William Purves, of the Presbyterian churchs at Paterson and Maitland, respectively.
Donald then move to the Manning River district to take up farming.

Mailtland Mercury and Hunter River Advertiser, 25th April 1867
A correspondent writes that Mr. Malcolm McKinnon came as near as possible to being drowned a few days ago. He fell out of a small boat which capsized with him whilst incautiously reaching over it's side and although Mr. McKinnon is a good swimmer, his strength had completely failed him when he was rescued by Mr. Whitten and another person. When the body reached the shore it was apparently lifeless but animation was restored as speedily as could have been expected under the circumstances, so that the rescued man is now quite well again.

Donald died 21 april 1891, aged 64.
Anne died 21 june 1881, aged 45 years.
They started the farm called Glen Ora ~1865.
Both are buried at Taree Estate, New South Wales.

Nabiac District - chronicles of the early days
Compiled by Rod & Wendy Gow

Nabiac 1925 - About a hundred of the surviving founding settlers were invited and attended a two day celebration in the form of a "Pioneer's Carnival" to honour their contribution to the district. Cr. Hugh McKinnon, in replying to a toast on behalf of the pioneers, stated: -

"He was pleased to see so many pioneers present. The banquet had been a been a splendid success. He complimented the association on the happy thought which promoted the entertainment. It showed that they were mindful of those who went before and those who blazed the track. He could go as far back as anyone present, as a resident of the Wallamba.
His father took up Glen Ora in 1862, and the whole of the pioneering prosperity could date back to the Land Act of 1861. The Bill then became operative in 1862, and his father was the first in the Manning Shire to take advantage of it.

Some of the children went to school on Taree Estate (Tarree Farms School) - there was no Taree school then. His father did not remove to the farm until 1865. It took four days to go from Taree Estate to Glen Ora. There was no proper road. His father brought the first bullock dray to Wallamba. Four bullocks were attached to a dray, in which was a lot of furniture, and some of the children. Following behind was a slide pulled by two bullocks. The first day they got as far as Peg Leg Creek, the next to Kundibakh, the following day to the flat near where Nabiac now is, and the next day they reached home. All along the road they found people hospitable and kind. His father had to cut the road from Larry's Flat down the Wallamba, and also the track out to the new home. The track was practically the same as where the road now went. In 1862 the only other settler was George Riley, who also came from Taree Estate."

In the earliest of times, the only roads were tracks which followed lines of marked trees through the bush. By 1840 the AAC settlements of Booral, Gloucester and Stroud were joined to each other and to Raymond Terrace by a well-defined road. The fact that the coastal road was slow in development was probably due to brisk shipping activity along the coast. By 1857 the main northern road had been extended from Gloucester to Kempsey and Port Macquarie. The NSW Gazetteer and Road Guide published in 1866 shows a main road from Stroud through Bulahdelah, Firefly Creek and Larry's Flat (Krambach) to Tinonee.

map Taree to Glen Ora

Back to TOP
Close info Window
© JCC Glass
Updated 10th January 2015
Use portrait to print