Info 5b-may. May Alison / Fotheringham
Close info Window

Auckland Star, 5th December 1907
PERSONAL NOTES FROM LONDON. (From Our Special Correspondent.)
LONDON, October 25th.
Miss May Alison, eldest daughter of Mr. E. W. Alison, M.P., Auckland, was married on September 18th to Mr John Fotheringham elder son of Mr. Robert Fotheringham of Glasgow.
The marriage was solemnised in the Newlands United Free Church, Glasgow, the officiating clergyman being the Rev. J. B. McMillan.
The bride, who was given away by her mother, wore a graceful Paris Empire lace gown over chifion and glace, and a tulle veil over a wreath of white heather and orange blossoms. Her bouquet was composed of white, heather and lily-of-the Valley.
The bridesmaid, Miss Ivy Alison, sister of the bride, looked very pretty in a shell-pink silk Empire gown, white crinoline straw hat covered with sweet peas of varied colours, and carried a bouquet of the same flowers. The bridegroom's gift to the bridesmaid took the form of amethyst necklace and ear-rings.
The best man was Mr. Adam Crow. The reception was afterwards held at Mrs. Marshall's, sister of the bridegroom, the guests numbering between 30 and 40. Mrs. Alison was handsomely attired in a handpainted mauve dress, hat of darker shade with white ostrich plume. Mrs. Fotheringham, mother of the bridegroom, looked charming in black taffeta with white ostrich feather boa, with black bonnet and pink roses.
Mrs. Marshall looked very smart in brown velvet with hat to match. The happy couple left for a tour through the Highlands of Scotland, where they will spend the honeymoon, prior to their departure for New Zealand, where they will make their future home.
The bride's going-away gown was of grey marquisette, with black crinoline hat with large white ostrich feather.

sheet 2
NZ Herald, 18th Sept 1931, Page 12
The death of Mr. John Fotheringham, aged 53, secretary of Taupiri Coal Mines, Limited, occurred yesterday morning. Mr. Fotheringham was found dead in bed at his residence, Kitchener Road, Takapuna. At an inquest held before Mr. F. K. Hunt, S.M., coroner, medical evidence was given that Mr. Fotheringham had suffered from a severe attack of influenza, which left him in a very depressed state. The coroner returned a verdict that deceased committed suicide by shooting himself when temporarily deranged through illness.

Mr. Fotheringham was born in Glasgow, and was the son of Mr. Robert Fotheringham. He was educated in Glasgow, where he studied analytical chemistry. At the age of 24 he went to Suva, Fiji, being employed by the Colonial Sugar Refining Company, Limited. After three years he proceeded to Brazil, engaging in similar work. Mr. Fotheringham arrived in New Zealand 23 years ago and took his accountancy degree. Shortly afterward he was appointed secretary of Taupiri Coal Mines, Limited.

Mr. Fotheringham was a keen golfer, and was also interested in yachting, being a prominent member of the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron. He is survived by his wife and one son. Widespread regret was expressed in tho city when the news of Mr. Fotheringham's death became known.

sheet 3

RIP Robert ewen ernest Fotheringham 1911- 1941


Rank:              Sergeant
Trade:             Pilot
Service No:        391833
Date of Death:     16/jul/1941
Age:               29
Service:           Royal New Zealand Air Force 
                   75 (R.A.F.) Sqdn 

Grave Reference:   30. A. 3.
                   Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Additional Information:   
Son of John and May Fotheringham, of Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand.

Evening Post, 25 January 1942
Air Casualties
Fotheringham. Robert Ewen Ernest (sgt)   R.N.Z.A.F.
Previously reported missing, believed killed in July 1941,
Death now officially presumed. -
Mrs M Fotheringham (mother), c/o Hon. E.W. Alison, Takapuna
NZRAF 75th Ssquadron
On the night 15th July a raid on Duisberg, situated inland on the Rhine with its three large marshalling yards at Hochfeld, Hochfeld-Sud and Ruhrort, and the largest rail-water transhipment port in Europe was attacked by Nine Wellingtons from No. 75 Squadron as part of a force of 38 aircraft despatched.

Although it was cloudy over the target, searchlights, guns and night fighters were able to co-operate effectively and only 19 aircraft claimed attacks, of which eight were from the New Zealand Squadron.
On the same night the Wellington captained by Sergeant Fotheringham landed in the North Sea about sixty miles from the English coast.
An SOS message was received before the aircraft went down and air rescue searches began immediately. But although an empty dinghy was sighted, none of the crew was rescued.
Source: Victoria University Of Wellington Library -

This report raises the question of how he came to be buried at BERGEN-OP-ZOOM WAR CEMETERY?
Back to TOP
Close info Window
© JCC Glass
Updated 14th November 2014
Use portrait to print